Our Story




Monday, April 23, 2012

Things God Has Done For Me

I always enjoy looking over the projects that the kids work on during the Sunday School hour in Church.  Today, Connor's task was to make two lists on a piece of paper.  One was "Things I Know About God" and the other was "Things God Has Done for Me".

The first thing on Connor's "Things God Has Done for Me" is: "Sent my brother to heaven."

I am inspired by this on many levels.  The first thing that touches me about this sentence is that God is again providing comfort with the knowledge that the spirit of our baby boy is still very much alive and well in the hearts of our family, and especially in the hearts of his siblings.  The second, and perhaps more profound lesson that Connor's work reveals to me is that his statement about Caden going to heaven was categorized as something that God did for Connor....as if it was a blessing.  A favor.  A gift.

Whoa.

I learn so much from our children.  Losing Caden isn't something God did TO us.  My oldest son has taught me that the Lord bringing Caden to heaven, to sit at the foot of His throne, to be surrounded by the splendor of His Kingdom...is something God did FOR us.  A piece of our family...one that we miss daily....has been called to his eternal dwelling long before the rest of us.  And while our hearts are filled with extreme sadness and longing....and while our earthly family feels incomplete because Caden isn't here....we have been given a gift.

What a perspective.  I am so, so grateful for the ways in which God speaks to us through our beautiful children....whether they are here....or in heaven.

I don't know that I'm entirely there yet like Connor is, but am thankful that God is patient with me.

Thank you, Lord, that there is no greater blessing than being in Your presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment