Our Story




Thursday, July 17, 2008

Sparkles and Carl





We have been especially touched by a gesture that some friends of ours, Doug and Polly, made for Connor and Kylee. They wanted to offer each of the kids "something to hold", in Polly's words, that would remind them of their baby brother. We were very touched.

Our friends funded a trip to Build-A-Bear for our kids. Connor and Kylee each picked out a bear that would remind them of Caden. Connor picked "Carl" and Kylee picked "Sparkles". We have been encouraged to take pictures of things that we do to memorialize Caden, so we snapped some photos of this excursion.

This was such a great gift and we have been truly inspired by it. It was so fun to watch the kids enjoy picking something out and then dressing their bears with love...I have to admit that throughout this adventure, I had a lump in my throat....remembering our youngest and wishing that the kids could love on him directly instead of choosing something to hug in his absence.

The opportunity to do something specifically for Connor and Kylee was wonderful. In trying to meet the needs of ourselves and, of course, Caden, I have often found a huge need to make sure Connor and Kylee's emotional needs are met, too....but that can be difficult when my own emotional and physical energy is low. This was a wonderful way to do something just for THEM, as Caden's siblings. Just as it is important to remember big brother or sister when a new baby comes to the house, it is also important to remember siblings in a time of loss. We were grateful for the opportunity to do this with our children.

Thanks, Doug and Polly!

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea! The kids look happy and I hope that makes things easier for you and Brandon. I'm glad you're taking each day a step at a time. I'm saying lots of prayers and you guys are in my thoughts too.

    Karla

    ReplyDelete
  2. These pictures are very precious, as are the ones of Caden. I'm so sorry you've had to go through this. I wish I had something better to say, but I think of you often and wish things could have been different. I look forward to seeing you play with him someday in heaven, making up for lost time.
    Debbie Wolfe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Lindsey,

    This is such a precious idea and the looks on Connor and Kylee's faces says so much. It is just the sweetest thing their little hearts can wrap around as they cuddle them. I too wish things could have been different for all of you. Caden is such a beautiful little boy who will always tug on your hearts. I continue to pray for you as God gently brings you through this valley. Asking Him for peace and strength for you each new day.

    Love, Laurie in Ca.
    PS. I hope Doug and Polly won't mind if I hijack this idea and use it in the future.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey guys,

    I just heard the news. I wanted to let you know that my love and prayers go out to you in this trying time.

    Aaron Christopher

    ReplyDelete