Our Story




Monday, July 14, 2008

Welcome Home!

Good Morning!

We took off this weekend for a spur of the moment trip to St. Louis. My sister Sarah had some hotel points built up and she let us cash them in for a couple nights at a hotel (thanks, sis!), so The Carlson Crew was off and running (nothing gets us moving quite as quickly as something that is FREE!!!). We had a great time visiting the St. Louis Zoo and the City Museum. We got home late last night and will spend today in recovery mode...although Brandon had to go back to work like a real grown-up today, so Connor, Kylee, and I will enjoy recovery mode on his behalf. :)

It was really great to get away for a couple nights. I have to admit, however, that I was a little surprised by how much I missed Caden on our trip! Even though he never got to travel with us outside of my belly, we had gotten kind of used to having him along wherever we went. I missed that this time around. At the zoo, we (of course!), ran into two young mothers who were pushing newborn babies around. Seeing their babies' little feet peeking out of their strollers made my heart ache. Our experience makes me want to stop folks with newborn babies and just let them know how fortunate they are to have those tiny feet in their lives....

When we arrived home, we had some cards waiting for us. We read all of them and continue to be overwhelmed by all the folks who have extended their love and prayers to us. There was one card, though, that stood out to me last night...it says, quite simply..."Long before we're ready, we sadly say goodbye. But there are those, in a far more beautiful place, who are saying "Welcome Home." I thought this was exceptionally beautiful, and it caused me to stop and reflect on what our little Caden is up to right now and who might be saying "Welcome Home" to him....

Caden had two Grandmas waiting for him in heaven. My mother, Beth, and my grandmother, Elinor. I know they were standing there waiting for him when he arrived. Caden also has a Great Aunt, Mary...Brandon's mother's sister, who has received him with open arms. Caden has some smaller friends...other infants who were applauding his heavenly birth....Jael, Gianna, Jayke, Jeffrey, Danny....and he has friends who will be coming up to join him in God's time....Gabriella, Noah.....thinking of all these angels warms my heart. And let's not forget, Caden has a dog, Winnie, licking his face and probably stealing food right off of his heavenly plate. :)

We have received a great deal of comfort from families who have walked through this valley previously, and I am realizing that maybe another benefit of getting to know these amazing people is so that we can have a glimpse of who Caden is spending his time with in Christ's mansion. Doesn't every parent want to know a little about their children's friends? I am getting that privilege, even though my baby isn't here. And it is incredible. So many wonderful people, both big and small, saying "Welcome Home!" to our little man.

I am so grateful to know that Caden is surrounded by such love and hope. Selfishly, I pray that he will find some time to come and peek in on us every now and then...I am so grateful for our little angel...and all of his friends.

Some day, we will get to see our son again. I look forward to the day I get to hug him and hear him say "Welcome Home, Mom!".

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post! I too can't wait for my "Welcome Home". Glad you had a great getaway. We love the STL zoo! We are continuing to pray for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you had a chance to get away for the weekend.
    Keep those images in your mind of Caden being surrounded by MANY that love him and have welcomed him Home. I'm sure my Danny was among the ones that said "Hey Caden, my mom knows your mom. Isn't that cool?" I think it's cool too and I am blessed to call you friend.
    You continue to be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lindsey,

    I have been thinking about you alot this past week and wanted to let you know I am praying for you guys. It is good that you got away for a few days. Caden was with you in your heart and memories. He is a part of your family forever. May your week be blessed and gentle.

    Laurie in Ca.

    ReplyDelete