Our Story




Sunday, June 8, 2008

3D Sonogram

Hello!
Sorry to be so slow to post this, but it has been a busy weekend and I am just now finding a minute to sit down and share.





THANK YOU so much for your prayers for us on Thursday evening. As you can see, we were able to get some wonderful glimpses of Caden. Our experience at Prenatal Imaging was wonderful!! The biggest challenge was actually NOT our lack of fluid, but rather, Caden's positioning. He is laying like an Olympic diver...in the pike position!! We've taken a picture of Connor in a similar position so you can get an idea of how our little man is inside of me with his knees pressed right up by his face. Caden is still breech, with his rear down and his head (and feet!) right up in my ribs. Janette, the sonographer that worked with us, had to work really hard to get a shot of his face...but she persisted and we got at least a partial glimpse of our littlest blessing (who has been blessed with a VERY Carlson-esque set of cheeks). They sent us home with pictures, a DVD, and a CD of Caden's heartbeat. What a gift! While all of that was free, we went on ahead and purchased a teddy bear, who carries within him a recording of Caden's heartbeat. You can press on the bear's tummy and hear Caden's little ticker beating away...it is great and the kids love it, too! I will confess that I keep it close to me much of the time. It brings me comfort to listen to his heart. Connor listened for the first time and proclaimed "It sounds like a piece of metal dragging on the ground!" Ah, five year olds.

This week has been a tough one for us emotionally. I am much more physically uncomfortable and am not sleeping well at night. While I try to enjoy every kick and nudge, there is a part of me that gets frustrated with feeling out of sorts. I feel that moms who aren't going to get to bring their babies home should get a free pass from all the pregnancy discomforts...but I know this isn't how it works...nothing is easy.

It has also been a hard week because tomorrow, Connor will start summer kindergarten with the Liberty Public Schools. We haven't committed to sending him for the full summer session (18 days), but are going to try it for at least this week, so he can get used to his new school, have some experience in a kindergarten classroom, and know a little better what to expect this fall. It is very difficult and emotional for me to think of him beginning this new chapter in life...and for us to begin this new chapter as parents. He will spend most of his day with a total stranger...his teacher, Ms. McPherson...who I have been assured is a decent human being....he is doing okay with the idea...and I hope and pray that he loves school and is blessed through his experiences there. Brandon assures me that this is the right thing to do...and he usually knows what he's talking about, so we'll give it a try! ;)

As if that weren't enough, tomorrow is also the 9th anniversary of my Mom's death. They did a prayer service in church today, during which I BAWLED (we are talking the ugly cry here, people!). Sometimes it just feels so unfair that God would ask me to process and cope with ALL of this at one time, when just one of these things would be enough on any given day. He continues to give me the strength to keep putting one foot in front of the other. I know that my strength comes about, in no small part, because of your prayers. So thank you.

This week holds another Doctor's appointment for me...Tuesday morning. I am hoping this will be the last one before we go into the hospital to deliver. I am a bit concerned about trying to deliver a breech baby without a C-Section, so plan to ask some questions about that. I will also get more information about the induction process as a whole, so that will help, too. We are three weeks away from meeting our little boy.

6 comments:

  1. Oh Lindsay,

    What a beautiful picture of little Caden!!! This is wonderful that you got good pictures and a DVD. I love the teddy bear with his heart beat, how precious is this? "A piece of metal dragging on the ground", leave it to a 5 year old's interpretation!!
    I am so sorry for the tough emotional week and am praying for your comfort. I am all for the free pass for you too. Brandon is right, Connor will adjust to summer-K just fine. It is a hard adjustment for you but when he comes home with big-boy info, your heart will be glad for him and you.
    I will be "stepping up" my prayers over these next three weeks for all of you as Cadens birthday draws near. Praying for new strength for each new day to get through. He will not let you down and He holds you in His hands. You can trust Him. Thank you so much for sharing the picture of Caden, an answer to prayers.!!

    Love and Prayers, Laurie in Ca.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsey-
    That bear with Caden's heartbeat sounds divine. An amazing gift to hold onto. I am right there with you on the free pass. My husband and I had many discussions about the free pass idea. It isn't easy. But then again, the discomforts are what make him real. They are bittersweet right now, but in a few short weeks they will be all sweet memories that you won't ever forget. We're lifting up many prayers on your behalf. May your appointment tomorrow be a great blessing filled with answers and peace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lindsey and family,
    I am saying extra prayers for you on this emotional day. I am sure that it is a much more emotional day for you than it is for Conner. As parents we want to embrace those milestone moments but the kids just see it as another day! I hope he enjoyed his first day of kindergarten! I love the teddy bear idea- you will cherish that forever. Many prayers coming your way in the next few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for your appointment today and hoping you get the answers you need to the questions you have. I will continue to trust the Lord with the rest. Asking Him to blanket your entire family with His peace and hope. Special prayers for Caden too.

    Laurie in Ca.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Carlsons,

    It is such a blessing to us all to see Caden--that may be a position that impedes a 3-D sonogram, but it is such a comfy-kid thing to do. I can see the Carlson cheeks too:)

    When we dream of having children one day, the thing I most wish for them is that they will be kind, and confident that they are loved. Watching Connor play with the younger kids a couple of weeks ago is assurance to me that he's got super doses of both, which makes me know that he'll soar in kindergarten...and first grade...and through life. Prayers for Brandon and Lindsey, though, as I know this is a time of transition.

    The reminder of your Mom's passing made me think of a Beth memory, at the Grill, with her bringing me an extra dipping bowl of honey mustard. I hadn't even asked, but she so had that caring Mom instinct that she just knew, though we'd spent about two hours at that point together. I remember her just being so comfortable and caring with us. I'm also not sure what that says about me, do I just give off a "desperate for honey mustard" vibe or something?

    We love you all-
    Robyn and Ben

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lindsey,
    You and your family continue to be in my prayers.
    It's VERY normal for your emotions to be taking you on a roller coaster ride right now. Give yourself permission to express them, you'll feel better in the long run.
    Remind me to share my son's kindergarten story with you sometime, I promise I cried more than he did. He is entering his senior year in high school this fall so I'm feeling the bittersweet of major milestones as well.

    Take care of yourself!

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete