Our Story




Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Tuesday Morning

Today is a big day in my life. Let me preface this post by saying that I am a CLEAN FREAK. Before children, I couldn't leave the house without every pillow being in place and everything being JUST SO (which is also why I am NEVER on time anywhere). I once spent my spring break during my Master's program scrubbing the ENTIRE house down (walls included...and, just for the record, this is when we lived in a much smaller home). After children, I have had to mellow out a bit. I have progressed from every pillow being in place to just being happy if there isn't pee splattered all over my bathroom before we leave the house. But I still fight my OCD about having floors and counter tops pristine. For quite some time, I told myself that I was just being a good wife and mother, but now I realize that neither Brandon nor the children care in the least about man-eating dust bunnies accumulating in our corners, so I have had to accept and acknowledge that I alone derive a great deal of inner peace from how our home is maintained.

As with many psychological issues, I can trace this tendency back to my childhood, where EVERY Sunday, we cleaned the house from top to bottom (most Sundays, we did this instead of going to church, which shows you the priority placed on cleanliness in our home...oops). My mother was the "white glove test" guru. Every nook, every cranny, was scrubbed. I grew up with this, so it is a priority I have carried with me into my own home (although we are very careful about putting Jesus first in our lives and I do the cleaning throughout the week so we can go to church together on Sunday). I LOVE the smell of a clean house (I do have a strange affinity for the smell of bleach)...I adore glistening faucets and clean mirrors. Vacuumed carpets are one of my favorite things...

Now, please know that I do not carry this tendency into other people's homes. I don't care about other people's man-eating dust bunnies, and pee splattered everywhere in someone else's bathroom doesn't phase me in the least. So please don't think I am critiquing your home in any way. I am relatively blind to any filth but my own.

So, knowing this about me, you will understand that a big item on the to-do list for this week was to get the house cleaned. It is a big deal for me...I like things done a certain way and have those particular spots that make me especially happy when I know they are clean. I am a control freak about it. But today, Molly Maids will be coming to clean my house. It is a big moment.

This is big on many levels...I haven't ever wanted to hire someone to clean because 1.) I am a complete cheapskate, 2.) I would be irate if I paid all that money and then found an area that wasn't clean (or, in other words, I am convinced that I can clean better than they can), 3.) What we will pay for a cleaning would allow us about 5 meals out and I loathe cooking, and 4.) I think that being home means it is MY job to clean...and therefore asking someone else to do it is shirking my responsibilities.

This experience has allowed me to get over that. Almost everything is uncomfortable now, and for the first time, I am LETTING IT GO and realizing that I shouldn't be scrubbing the bathroom floor on my hands and knees right now. I am doing ENOUGH. I am ENTITLED to some help.

This is revolutionary for me, folks. An experience like this lends itself to many new ventures. Just being able to acknowledge that it's OKAY to have some help is a big step. Having to ask for help does not come naturally to me...but I am learning that we MUST lean on others...thankfully we don't have to pay friends and family for their help like we do Molly Maids. :) This is how Christ intended it to be. We cannot wait to give back to all of you, but understand right now, our job is to RECEIVE. And thank you for giving us so much.

Thank you, precious Caden, for helping us to learn so many new things about ourselves. We love you so much.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Lindsay,

    I was going to say I'd pay you to come white glove my home, but you are right, you are to be resting right now. That little Caden sure is teaching you great things before you even see him eye to eye this Sunday. I am so glad that you are accepting help during this time. Those man eating dust bunnies must be a global thing, I have them too!!:) Mine are capable of days of spinning round and round on the ceiling fan and not falling off. I am praying for you sweet friend these next 4 days like never before and I am trusting the Lord to keep you in His perfect peace. And I trust Him to keep His promise to be faithful to you. Enjoy that blessing of a clean home without exhausting yourself. You have earned it.

    Love and Many Prayers, Laurie in Ca.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsey- Love this post. I had to learn the same lessons of letting things go and allowing others the blessing of helping. Still isn't easy at times, but so worth it! Believe it or not, you're blessing others by allowing them to help! We are praying for you today and throughout the week. Put your feet up and enjoy those precious belly-kicks this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As your fellow traveler on this one, friend, I have to say I'm inspired by the slight release of that white-knuckle grip on controlling our lives you've achieved--

    because you're right, you know...now is the time to receive, receive, receive...
    Love,
    Robyn and Ben

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Lindsey,

    I agree that it is a difficult step to take to allow others to help us. We like to be the givers. It is a new process learning how to be on the receiving end, but I think it is such a blessing that is given by God to those who give us the help we need.

    Remember awhile back you mentioned to me that when someone shares a Bible verse with you, it really helps you and sends a wave of calm over you? Well, today I got our church newsletter, and there is a verse quoted that made me think of you all.

    So, here it is: Psalm 61:1-4
    Hear my cry, O God; listen to my prayer. From the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I. For you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the foe. I long to dwell in your tent forever and take refuge in the shelter of your wings.

    We are remembering you with love as the days ahead come for you, knowing how important each day is. It was interesting to me to read the note from your dad about a certain book mark he has kept that has Isaiah 41:10 printed on it - that is one of my favorites, too.

    Hugs,
    Gary and Jeni Morrow

    ReplyDelete